A Change in Pace...with bees! (Part 1)

Wow. That was a tough finish. But I am officially a Master of Entomology! Now for the wonderful world of...unemployment. Between writing cover letters and searching job sites I can finally spend some time on the blog again. I have a whole backlog of half-finished entries that I started in the past year which I will be posting, but for now, lets deal with the present.

And the present, of course, features:

CHICAGO 













Yes, it's Entomology in the City, just about as far removed as one can get from the cranberry marshes of Central Wisconsin (intentional? More posts on that later...). Many friends showed up to help me move my life into our apartment in Logan Square in an incredible 30 minutes, and several commented jokingly on the beetle pillows and the box simply labelled BUGS. They remained oblivious to the strange insects and cyanide kill jar inside (John, fortunately, knows about these things, and has gracefully accepted the fact that there will soon be dead bugs next to the turkey stock in the freezer). It is quite clear, however, that I am no longer surrounded by fellow entomologists who geek out about parasitoids and snack on Manduca sushi. What's a insect-loving girl to do?

Beekeeping, of course.

A short distance from my new home is the beautiful Garfield Park Conservatory, an absolute gem in the middle of the city. Opened in 1908 and designed by the famous landscape architect Jens Jensen, the Conservatory is an amazing glass building with a diverse array of environments ranging from desert and jungle to my favorite, the Fern Room. This warm, humid, earthy smelling room makes you feel like you've stepped into the Carboniferous Era, and features an amazing array of ferns and related gymnosperms (if only they had giant dragonflies to complete the effect).



 Garfield Park Conservatory, photo: chicagonow.com

 
The Fern Room, photo:www.cymagazine.com


Comments

Post a Comment